I'm Going Nuts

It's the season to be nuts! The first quarterly period has just ended and I need to prepare the marks of my students. Life as a regent involves juggling many roles: i'm a religion teacher, a moderator for a senior year section as well as the moderator of the school paper, the cafeteria committee chairman, and last but not the least, I am the kitchen minister in the house.

Deadlines, deadlines, deadlines, and I'm going nuts. Fortunately, preparing food relaxes me and so yesterday, I made ice cream sans ice cream maker. Here's a nutty treat for a nutty day:


banana-almond nougat ice cream

3 250 ml. pkgs. all purpose cream, chilled
1/4 cup brandy
honey

2 bananas, sliced into small pieces
1/2 cup unsalted butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup brandy

chopped almond nougat (the hard crunchy European variety)


Melt butter in pan. Add the brown sugar and caramelize. Add the sliced bananas and the brandy, then flambé. Set aside to cool.

Whip the cream in a chilled bowl until it forms soft peaks and approximately doubles in size. Drizzle the brandy in the mixture and continue mixing. Then drizzle the honey to sweeten it to your desired taste.

Put the mixture in a container to freeze. Whisk the mixture every 30 minutes to prevent the formation of large ice crystals. When the mixture is almost frozen yet still mushy, fold in the chopped nougat then carefully swirl in the caramelized banana mixture. Freeze at least overnight before serving.

Serve with white chocolate curls.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Sounds like you have a very busy schedule Katimugambalon. Wow, 100 people at dinner! You and J Haw are blessings to the entire world! I have so much respect for you--if I had to feed that many people, I would have already gone nuts!
Anonymous said…
Hi friends! I just tagged you for a meme, if you are interested. It is about the five foods you'd like to eat before you leave the earth. I hope you want to participate. You can find more info about the meme on my blog site.

Popular Posts