Wednesday, January 14, 2009
Dulong in Olive Oil
Here's a quick post for another kitchen experiment. Write-up on what a "dulong" is and more photos to follow. Just so i won't forget the ingredients and the procedure.
400 gms. fresh dulong (a very small fish)
1/2 cup whole shallots
1/2 cup black olives
1/2 cup white wine
3 tbsp finely chopped garlic
2-3 bay leaves
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 cup palm vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
1. Rinse dulong in water and vinegar. Drain and set aside.
2. Saute garlic in 3 tbsp olive oil. Low heat, just to infuse olive oil with garlic flavor.
3. Add in shallots, and allow it to caramelize a bit.
4. Add the dulong and olives and wine. Put a dash of salt and pepper.
5. Simmer until almost dry. Let it cool.
6. Add the remaining olive oil.
Serving suggestion: can be bottled and use for pasta sauce or topping for toasted breads.