I just came back from an Alternative Class Program in Xavier School this morning. It was fun because it is in a way a coming home treat. I became a teacher once again for at least two hours. Many of my former students enrolled in that class too, so it also became a mini reunion.
I prepared a cooking demo (thanks to some of the students who volunteered to help) for an Italian-Pinoy Fusion Cuisine. Here's three of the recipe I prepared:
Leafy Green w/ Adobo Salad
1 pack romaine lettuce, washed and dried
1 pack red leaf lettuce, washed and dried
00 gms. chicken breast, cooked adobo style and flaked.
1-2 pc. ripe chico (or 1 pc. ripe mango whichever is available)
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
¼ cup olive oil
3 tbsp. soy sauce
1 clove garlic, minced.
1 – 2 pc. bay leaves
pepper to taste
kesong puti (feta cheese may be used)
1. Fry adobo flakes until golden brown and crispy. Set aside.
2.Prepare the adobo dressing. Combine garlic, bay leaves, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar in a sauce pan. Simmer until mixture turns into a syrupy consistency. Add pepper to taste. Set aside.
2. Assemble salad. Tear lettuce and assemble in a salad plate. Top with adobo flakes. breast and sliced chico. Drizzle with olive oil and toss.
3. Add adobo dressing according to taste. Top with kesong puti.
Linguini with Vigan Style Longganisa
500 gms. Linguini or Spaghetti
4 – 5 pcs. garlic longganisa (Vigan style)
50 gms.. basil leaves - chopped
1 tsp. minced oregano (fresh or dried)
1 medium sized can peeled tomatoes
5- 6 cloves garlic, minced
3 – 4 medium seized tomatoes
5-6. olive oil
1 cup white table wine
freshly ground black pepper
salt to taste
1. Cook pasta al dente (about 5-7 minutes).
2. Sauté garlic in olive oil. Add vigan longganisa and sauté until cooked..
3. Add diced fresh tomatoes, peeled tomatoes and white wine. Bring to a boil.
4. Add basil and oregano. Put salt and pepper according to taste.
5. Simmer then add pasta.
*Straight from the pan pasta : no need to drain pasta. While pasta is al dente (around 5 minutes of cooking), remove from stove and set aside and let it cook naturally in the hot water. Meanwhile, the pasta sauce is prepared