Saturday, January 14, 2006

Quick and Tasty Gourmet, the Jesuit Way

I had lived in a small international Jesuit community when I was in special studies. We all had to take turns to cook dinner. A lot of community bonding happened in our kitchen as we helped rescue one another from various cooking disasters. Because we had books to read, papers to write, and classes to attend, we could not afford to spend more than two hours to prepare and cook a meal. The dishes that became popular in our community were those that were tasty, used readily available ingredients, and took minimal time and effort to prepare and cook. I would like to share two of our favorite dishes.

1-2-3-4 Chicken

1 pound of chicken legs or thighs (skinless)
2 tablespoons vinegar (regular or rice)
3 tablespoons sugar
4 tablespoons soy sauce

Calculate ingredients by estimating half a pound of chicken per serving and multiply the amount of vinegar, sugar, and soy sauce by the number of pounds of chicken required

Bring the last three ingredients to a boil in a sauce pan. Put in the chicken and bring back to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cover. Cook chicken for about 45 minutes until almost done. Turn once during cooking.

When chicken is cooked, turn off heat and keep covered for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Reheat, serve warm or at room temperature.

If you want you can remove the chicken and thicken sauce a bit with some corn starch.

Serve with lots of rice to soak up the juice.

Baked Salmon

Salmon fillets
packet of Lipton Onion Soup Mix
Mayonnaise

Coat generously top of salmon fillets with mayonnaise
Sprinkle Lipton Onion Soup Mix on top of coated fillets.
Coat a baking dish with olive oil and lay the fillets, coated side up in the dish.
Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
Bake for 20 minutes or until salmon can be flaked by a fork.
Serve with some lemon, if desired.

3 comments:

Passionate Eater said...

I love your fast and easy recipes! Do you have any suggestions for "quick" vegetables to serve with the chicken and salmon? The name for "1-2-3-4 Chicken" is memorable, and brings a smile to my face. It is made with 0 (zero) difficulty!

Seems like the chicken would go well with stir-fried vegetables (or even pre-made jars of preserved vegetables), and that the salmon may be well-paired with wilted spinach. I'd like to try making the chicken. I might add some fresh Thai basil or scallions when I make it--as a tasty addition.

Jhaw said...

Hi Fr. Ritchie! Welcome to the wonderful world of food blogging. Hope to see more of your recipes.

I hope we can do something about posting photos of our finished products here. Pics add more zest to the whole experience of reading the recipes.

ggpaborito said...

Hey!This is GING from ggpaborito,remember you left a comment for me in my "stuffed pepper"? Well I left you a massage in my Cbox. Any way this "Baked Salmon" of yours is my Favorite.Now I leanred your style of making it. so you don't mind if I cook this dish of yours?? I really like this different style of baking it. Good work!!!See you later,............